You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Friday, June 22, 2012

The Cross

So, I'm reading Ephesians now for my quiet time, going a phrase at a time as explained in Becoming More Than A Good Bible Study Girl (highly recommended!). I'm in chapter 1 and this was today's section:
In love he predestined us[b] for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
 And I had to sit back and think about the redemption. And the blood. And the cross. And the notes in my brand-spankin'-new ESV Study Bible and it said this:
"Unite. This is the central theme of the passage: God has effected cosmic reconciliation in Christ. The work of Christ on the cross is the central axis for the history of creation, whether in heaven or on earth...since he has redeemed his people and silenced all hostile powers."
The cross. The central axis for the history of creation. I know the birth of Jesus divides all of history into BC and AD (I'll have none of this BCE business, thank you). But His death. Oh, His death divides every person from the beginning of time into a believer or non-believer. The effects had both horizontal and vertical ramifications. The horizontal is where He stretched out His arms wide to collect us to Himself and cover us (me!) with His blood. The red line runs around the globe and has no end. The vertical is where we are put in a right relationship with the perfect, holy Father. Jesus was between heaven and earth and because of this, one day we will be with God in heaven. And when the Father looks down vertically from His throne? He can only see the red line. We are covered under the blood. Under the horizontal.

Just makes me want to sing hallelujah in all directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment