You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coke cans and oceans

I know. I know. It's been seven months since I've posted. That sounds like a Catholic confession: "It's been seven months since my last post." And it's not like God hasn't been showing me things, it's just that I write them down on tiny scraps of paper that never get beyond my office (which is my closet, by the way) and then it's out of my head and lost forever. At least the beautiful, poetic parts. The lessons are still there.

So where do the Coke can and oceans come in? Well, let me tell you...

I've just started reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Seriously behind the curve. It came out 3 years ago. I bought it almost one year ago. Anywho, finally started it. The whole first chapter is about the awesomeness of God and how we can't even begin to comprehend Him. Well, here, read this quote:

"If my mind is the size of a soda can and God is the size of all the oceans, it would be stupid for me to say He is only the small amount of water I can scoop into my little can. God is so much bigger, so far beyond our time-encased, air/food/sleep-dependent lives."
And then on Sunday, our pastor, who is preaching from Habakkuk (what? lots of flipping to find that book!), said this quote:

"We say to God, 'God, get in my box so I can understand You.' God is in the business of blowing your box to pieces."
I cannot even begin to comprehend what God is doing in my life because I can't really comprehend God. And let me tell you, there have been some rough patches and dark days. When Habakkuk questioned God's plan to send the Babylonians in, God answered Him. "God is consistent in His faithfulness and perfect in His timing." Let your coke can-sized brain think on that for a while...



No comments:

Post a Comment