You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wait-what?!?!

As a parent, one of the ace-in-the-hole verses to make your child obey is Ephesians 6:1 which says, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right." My kids are pretty good at quoting this. Not so spectacular at following it.
Well, it occurred to me the other day that this verse applies to me as well. The Bible is what we're supposed to follow. Every verse is true and relevant. And, I'm a child of God. Therefore...it could read, "Jen, obey your Heavenly Father for this is right."
That really stopped me in my tracks.
There are many times when I'd like my children to just obey. Just do what I ask. Just put your sippy cup in the fridge. Just close the drawer when you're done. Just stop yelling at each other. Just clean up your room.
But there are times when, like me, God gets tired of my disobedience. Just obey. Just do what I ask. Just get rid of that thought. Just swallow those bitter words. Just love. Just focus on the eternal. Of course, He has infinite more patience than I do. But the idea's the same. I am to obey my Parent just as I ask my children to obey theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment