You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Saturday, January 14, 2012

Exalting God

I decided to read through Tozer's The Pursuit of God. Have mercy. At first I couldn't get into it, but then I couldn't shake it. SUCH a good read.

Today's Tozer chapter was a killer: Restoring the Creator-Creature Relationship. It was all about putting God above all else; above my desires for "me" time, above my schedule, above my housework, above my possessions, above my comforts, friendships, reputation, everything. It all stems back to Adam, of course, and I won't give the whole story that Tozer did. Suffice it to say that our sin puts us out of our proper position with God, and we strive to restore that, but in the wrong ways. "Much of our difficulty as seeking Christians stems from our unwillingness to take God as he is and adjust our lives accordingly. We insist upon trying to modify Him to bring Him nearer our own image." If we would just decide that Christ will be exalted over all, "[the] Christian life ceases to be the complicated thing it had been before and becomes the very essence of simplicity." 
That sounds nice to me. 
So often I try to juggle Bible study, prayer, meditation, following up with each of my small group girls, and "doing" all my Christian stuff that I feel exhausted and a failure! I like the idea of simplicity! However, just as my mind was racing with how awesome my day/life/situation would be if I "just" put God first, Tozer addressed that as well: "For this God-above-all position is one not easy to take. The mind may approve it while not having the consent of the will to put it into effect...man must make the decision before heart can know any real satisfaction. God wants the whole person and He will not rest till He gets us in entirety. No part of the man will do."
Yikes. But it's a black-and-white decision: God above all, or below all? Over everything, or under all the items on my to-do list? I can choose to ask Him to order my day, keeping in communion with Him through it all, and reordering according to His priorities. He is above all and in all. And He's my all in all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment