You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Monday, March 19, 2012

Just Dust

Recently I was doing a Bible study that had me look at Psalm 103 and I came across verse 14 that says,
For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
I don't know about you, but that gives me great peace. As a Type A+++ personality, I am very goal-driven; I have daily, weekly and monthly goals. I like order. And organization. And checklists. This means that I can be very productive. It also means that if I don't achieve what I want to according to my checklists or goals, I can end up feeling pretty bad about myself. I beat myself up about how I squandered time, or should have multi-tasked, or...fill in the blank.


Enter Psalm 103:14.


In context, the chapter is a call to worship God for all He has done...and is doing...and will do. And a bit past halfway through the chapter, the psalmist tells us that God remembers we are dust. I am made of dust. Dust on its own can only flutter in the air and settle someplace. But dust in God's hands becomes a living, breathing person. God made me. He remembers how He did it. He remembers that I am dust-I'm the one who needs to remember that more often. 


It all comes down to focus (as most everything in life does). If I am focused on myself and what I need to accomplish in a day, I am seeing myself as more than dust. And, I'm trying to do the life-breathing work. There is One God, and I am not Him! My focus should be on Him and all He's done...and is doing...and will do. 


If I get it right in my head, it's good to be dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment