You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Friday, March 30, 2012

Just Be Quiet and Enjoy the Ride Already!

Many times in the Bible we are called to be still. If you knew me (or if you know me) you know that this is next to impossible for me. I'm really great at the doing-not so much at the not doing. Which is exactly why our pastor's sermon on being quiet before the Lord was such a struggle. My pastor is an amazing preacher and I am blessed to be under his teaching; bold, unapologetic, and getting to the nitty-gritty.

Anywho, a few weeks when I heard that topic, I knew it would be a good one. And I wasn't disappointed. One of the illustrations that made the most sense to me was this one: Did you ever want to take your kids somewhere and surprise them? My husband and I like to do this. The problem is, once you get in the car and explain that the destination is a surprise, the questions start. "Where are we going? Will it take long to get there? What road are we taking? Are we going to McDonald's? Is it the zoo? Have we been there before? What will we do when we get there?" and on and on it goes. What was meant to be an exciting, fun time in the car together starts to sound like the Spanish Inquisition. And as parents, you just want to say, "Will you just be quiet and enjoy the ride?! Don't worry about where we're going, just be happy for the time together."

Ah. Now it all makes sense.

Time before the Lord should just be enjoying the "ride"-the time spent together going wherever it is He's taking us. And while I'm a person who likes to know what's going on, I think I get this. I think that makes a whole lot of sense to not pepper God with the 5 w's, but just sit back and spend time together.

To listen to the sermon yourself, please click on this link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment