You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Monday, June 20, 2011

Looking Like Daddy

We thought it cute to buy Isabella a police officer uniform because she was so proud of Joshua being a "police offider." One day when he was getting suited up, she ran into her room and came back with her shirt, hat, utility belt, and gun-the controller for her toy train. I thought it ridiculously adorable that she wanted to be just like her Daddy-to look like him, to drive a police offider car (a car with "lights on its head") and to sound like him.

I want the same. I should be so in love with my Heavenly Father that I want to be just like Him. I want to talk like Him-to use the same words that He does. I want to know what He does and how He works. I want to look like Him-to have the same clothing that He did. I want to be just like Him because He is the greatest Father ever.

A few years ago I chose Ephesians 5:1-2 as our family's verses. I taught them to Isabella and someday, I will have them printed up and posted in our dining room. Here's what those verses say: 1Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

I love that. I love that, in everything our family does, we can ask, "Am I being an imitator of God?" When I am in a huff because of some perceived injustice: "Is this how Christ acted at His true injustice? Am I imitating God with this attitude?" In those moments of absolute parental anger at the millionth time my children have disobeyed and I spank harshly instead of out of love: "Is this attitude one of Christ? Am I imitating Him by spanking in this way?" The moments the words slip out that tear down those little souls in front of me: "Is this language what God used? Am I imitating Him with my speech?" Heavy, convicting stuff.

But that's not where it ends. The next part is a heavy charge for our family as well: "And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us…" There is so much to walking in love. It's being tenderhearted toward one another (another verse I quote to Isabella a lot), it's living peaceably with each other, and of serving one another. If we just took these two verses and applied them to every part of our life, we would be doing great.

We are Christians. We are called to look like our Daddy-not because of any reflection on us, but because of our deep love for Him. How much do you desire to imitate your Daddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment