You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Monday, April 18, 2011

Jesus and Easter Eggs

So, Easter is Sunday. This is the first year that my daughter Bella will actually sort of "get" the concept. As Christians, we walk the thin line between giving into all the candy and gifts (seriously, when did Easter become the second Christmas with gift-giving?) and focusing on the resurrection. Each day since last Wednesday we've opened a "resurrection egg" and read the little story. But I also have a small stash of candy, socks and a movie for her basket.

But I was thinking about eggs today and an idea hit me: I can compare Jesus to an Easter egg (stay with me, here). An egg has to be broken and poured out before it can be truly used. You have to cause damage to the shell and break it in order to pour out what's inside, that can then be used in wonderful things like cakes, cookies and quiches. Jesus Himself endured the same in Psalm 22:14

I am(Y) poured out like water,
   and all my bones are(Z) out of joint;
my(AA) heart is like(AB) wax;
   it is melted within my breast;
15my strength is(AC) dried up like a potsherd,
   and my(AD) tongue sticks to my jaws;
   you lay me in the dust of death.

 16For(AE) dogs encompass me;
   a company of evildoers(AF) encircles me;
they have(AG) pierced my hands and feet[b]17I can count all my bones—they(AH) stare and gloat over me;

Jesus had to be crushed, broken, and poured out in order to make something beautiful-a life for you and me. Perhaps the two ideas of Easter can coexist after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment