You're probably wondering about the title...my daughter Isabella loves to clean-she comes by it honestly. I am a shameless clean freak. One morning I was working away in the kitchen while she had the mop I'd left out overnight to dry. And I look over to check on her and my then-7-month-old son, and say the five words I never thought I'd say as a parent, "Isabella, don't mop your brother!" He didn't mind, and she just wanted to make sure he was sparkly. So welcome to my world!



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kids hear the darndest things...

Bella is two and half biologically, but about 10 mentally some days. She constantly amazes me with the things she says and does. For instance, one day while bagging up my groceries, she looked up and said, "Thank you for shopping at Meijer!" I did my usual head-shaking Where does she get this stuff? and went on my merry way. I've thought about that a lot since then. She obviously heard it said every week as we exited the store, but I barely had it on my radar. The point? It was a small thing that became part of her vocabulary. The same is true of us: what sort of things are "running in the background" of our lives? Is the music I listen to uplifting? (Especially now that I know littles are listening.) What small things do I say that are damaging? I'll admit it: when I am frustrated, I give it full vent. How many times has Isabella heard my rantings against people around me, traffic, or my husband even?
Be on the lookout for the small things in your life, the "cozying up to culture" as my pastor calls it, the ways in which you are letting the little things be a part of who you are. You never know who's listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment